Tuesday, January 27, 2009

wireless challenges of the Vocera badge

THIS just popped up last week and is worth a quick read for anyone planning to deploy Vocera. Vocera is a unique product, and it has unique requirements for optimal operation. I know I say that all the time, but this article gives you a chance to learn about the "nuances" of Vocera wireless operation through someone else's pain.

Many of the things that typically "fix" wireless problems in data networks will degrade or completely break communication to Vocera badges. Things like increasing power on the AP's or adding amplifiers will actually cause more problems. Even doing the "right thing" and adding more AP's can actually further degrade your network unless you re-tune the channelization and power output of all nearby existing AP's when you deploy them.

I wasn't involved in this project, and I have no information about this deployment beyond what Network World published. I have seen other people use these techniques to "tune in" Vocera, I've heard the results first hand, and they never work. The only way to get predictable, high quality voice in a Vocera environment is to do it right:
  • Read the Vocera Infrastructure Planning Guide.
  • Ensure ALL of your AP's have ALL of the recommended settings configured.
  • Have a wireless survey performed with spectrum analysis.
  • Make sure surveyor knows VOCERA'S requirements for acceptable results before they start.
  • Make sure they can detect devices that complete with badges like microwaves and cordless phones.
  • If there are dead spots, add properly configured AP's, tune in channels and power settings, and resurvey the area.
  • Put on a badge and "play test tone." Walk everywhere any badge wearer may go and confirm a good steady stream is coming out of the badge.
Questions? Got a comment from your troubleshooting experiences? Post them here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thom said...

I appreciate the comment, but I'd hate for a this technical site to become the google target for business rumors, so I removed it.

I'm not surprised they haven't posted a news update on their site lately, with HIMSS moved back two months I bet we have a bit of a wait before they start giving us any teasers.

As for other rumors, I don't know anything beyond what their press release page says.

Again, I always appreciate comments, but lets try to keep them focused on our systems and their operation and optimization.
Thom