Sunday, December 21, 2008

catching up the blog

It's been a while since I've had a chance to post to this blog and I have quite a bit to say so I am going to break it up over the next week or so. Most of my time has been spent doing 4.0 -> 4.1 upgrades so good info on that is coming up soon.

I updated the links on the right with several items regarding headsets:
  • Vocera section got links for guidelines and approved headsets
  • Engineer section gets a link for my Plantronics MX 500 headset
  • Badge section got a link for a basic user headset
I use "play test tone" to look for places dropping packets nearly every week. Even at the lowest setting it's too loud to use the speaker for this, and if you put a normal headset in for this it will leave your ear ringing. The MX 500 has an inline volume adjustment, I turn both my badge and headset all the way down, then turn the headset knob until I can just barely hear the tone clearly. It's simple to adjust the volume as you walk from loud rooms to quieter ones, I strongly recommend a headset with this type of adjustment for anyone doing this sort of work.

The hot tip of the week is also about headsets and it comes from one of the Vocera administrators I was working with this last week on an upgrade. He did a little searching for headsets for some users and found Amazon had a huge price drop on PLANTRONICS MX 150 headsets. The price went from around 16$ to 2$ a few days ago, simply insane! One unit did order 25 of them and got 3 DOA out of the bunch, but at that price they seem pretty disposable to me.

One final little admin note to close with. I've been pretty disappointed with my search ranking being so low for this blog, a search for "thom's vocera blog" didn't even hit this in the first ten pages of google results. I took a look at my source code today and found that blogger had put an unhelpful "noindex,nofollow" in my header. I got that cleaned up so hopefully some better visability is coming soon.

4 comments:

Stonegateguy said...

Actually the "headset" Document has been update/replace by vocera with a more generic document. They have moved away from recommending specific headsets to a set of recommened guidelines to follow when shoping for a headset. When I was in CA for the User Confrence they said most "Name Brand" headsets will Do.

Here is a link to the New Documentation:

http://www.vocera.com/products/documents/VoceraHeadsetGuider1.3.pdf

Thom said...

Hi Stonegateguy, I think their new approach is a better one too. At least it keeps their testing/QA people focused on Vocera and not testing headsets with all of their time.

Your link goes to version 1.3 of that doc, normally Vocera puts up links without versions so they can put current in a known location. Like you, this was the only working link I found to the guide. When they rev this guide our links will either fail or point to an out of date doc.

I will leave up the link to the approved headset list up as long as Vocera has it on their website because it calls out a few special headsets the people might need in very high noise environments.

One headset on the list is "The Boom" check out this video when you get a chance:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_bMKwCZaJk

Rob said...

Thom,

Thanks so much for the heads-up on that Plantronics MX150 Flexible Boom Headset on Amazon. We do have a number of folks (unit clerks, monitor techs, etc.) who are in areas with high ambient noise, so we've been looking into various headsets. You've just saved us a buncha bucks!

Thom said...

You bet Rob, I'm glad to hear it!

I thought that deal would be done long ago, but the price is the same and they still show units in stock!

Now we just need to find some more deals like this... anyone have a line on a two dollar DL380 for my lab?
Thom